The world over nearly everyone is addicted to their ego. The boundaries of your world are determined by the way judgement has rooted into your ego. This blog intends to relate the 12 step program as a proven way of shifting out of the ego as an addiction. You can use the 12 step program to shift beyond an addictive personality.
You became hooked to egoic addiction by the labeling program you learned as an infant. All of us were. We had no choice. Our parents were set up by their parents and on and on back into time. They did not know what they were doing. They were already hooked into their own ego traps. This is the way it goes.
You could say this is the worldwide rule book to hooking you into …….. the Egoic Life.
- You learn to label things in your environment as named and defined by your parents. The labels begin to determine your perception rather than perceiving by direct awareness.
- You learn to label yourself as an object rather than as an awareness.
- You learn to perceive, judge and rank others according to your labeling inventory. This value judgment system becomes your EGO. YOUR EGO IS BORN!
- Your ego and inner judge embark on a continuous process of labeling and judgment which begins to capture most of your perceptual awareness. Your inner dialogue becomes the background of your judgments consuming your awareness. YOU ARE ADDICTED TO YOUR EGO… as its dialogue and endless judgements seize most of your perception. Your awareness outside of Egoic judgments may shrink and shrink.
- You react to others according to your ego’s judgment. Reactions become perceptions of fear and wants based on your perpetual lableing and ranking and judging.
- The Ego gains control over your perceptual awareness most of the time. What you perceive is determined by your Ego’s judgement your labeling machine and your internal dialogue.
- Fear is generated by your ego continually judging yourself. Your fear gives birth to the reactions of greed, anger, anxiety, busyness and hate.
- Because you begin to harbour so many judgements, conflicts in judgements begin to accumulate in your mental inventory. Conflicts in your self judgment creates chaos in your life. Your reaction will be to withdraw, loose confidence, act out, or seek identity with a group that takes over your decision making responsibility. You may manifest bipolar, schizophrenic or any number and level or psychological disorders.
- Your perception has become addicted to your ego and its judgements. Your perception has become trapped by software incorporated into your own mind. There seems to be no escape. It is like a computer virus has taken over control of your awareness of everyones awareness. Every attempt to regain your awareness seems to add to your mental inventory only giving the ego more strength.
This is the position many find themselves in as they struggle to regain their sense of presence.
This review is a grand over simplification. Yet the truth remains. Our cultural labeling program creates a judging ego that leads to fear, conflict, limited perceptions and all of the associated problems of society with no easy way out. Egoic life is an addiction.
In this blog I have reviewed many ways to shift out of Egoic Life. The following 12 step program is another alternative proven to have helped thousands cope with their addictioins and shift their perceptions.
The 12 steps are…..
These are the original Twelve Steps as published by Alcoholics Anonymous: you can substitute Egoic addiction where it says alcohol. This program has been used by some to deal with almost all types of addictive behavior.
- We admitted we were powerless over alcohol (ego)—that our lives had become unmanageable.
- Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
- Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
- Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
- Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
- Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of charachter
- Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
- Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
- Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
- Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
- Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His Will for us and the power to carry that out.
- Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
In some cases, where other twelve-step groups have adapted the AA steps as guiding principles, they have been altered to emphasize principles important to those particular fellowships, to remove gender-biased or specific religious language.
I will not get into discussing the 12 step program as I believe it is a complete and well documented system with many references readily available on the Internet.
This is a tree. This is a cat. This is ugly. This is good. This is bad. You learned to identify with the labels. I am bad. I am not pretty. I am dumb. You learned to react to labels. I am not as good as that other person. You became a label yourself. I am my job. I am a spouse. I am a child. I am a dropout. I am a gamer. As you began to perceive yourself as a labeled object rather than awareness your ego gains authority to determine your sense of self worth. Truly this is a prescription for insanity. Indeed the world is insane.
We are the product of egos created from cultural labeling that has been handed down for generations upon genertions. Generations of our ancestors have given away all of thier awareness to perpetually judge and review the projections of their mental inventory.
Now we have the gift of awareness of our lost awareness. What we do with this awareness will determine the future of life here.
Your ego shifted your awareness out of Now, into a fantasy place that only exists as a dream in your mind. That fantasy place is a projection of the mind called past and future. You can only be in Now. Think about it. I know it is hard to give up your ego. You can only ever be in Now. The result of living in the projection of the mind in the fantasy of Past and Future is your ego retains control of your perception. The ego can not exist in Now awareness. The ego can only exist projecting what could be or has been and projecting judgments about what was and will be and could be. If your attention is on the ego projection of what could happen, you have fear. If your attention is only on what is happening now you only have awareness. Which do you want? Fear? or Awareness? Where is most of your focus?
Your perception became hooked on the emotions of viewing your ego’s sensory projections wrapped around wants and fears related to your judgments. You are Addicted to the drama of past and future. It is a drama that never really exists. Yet it traps your perception like the nightly soap dramas. It is like you are a video game addict only on a grand super sensory scale. Wouldn’t you rather go back to perceiving reality than your own mental projections?
As the egoic judgement inventory varies from individual to individual the behavioral reactivity in each of us varies accordingly. Once your version of the communal monkey mind is installed by your parents and society you are hooked. The 12 step process takes time, but if you are seriously wanting to change your addictive personality it is proven to help you if you give it effort intent and time.
Do NOT try to use the 12 step program to try to change someone else. Only they can make the decision to rise above their own personal trap.
Sorry for the length of this post. I struggled to simplify it to this extent. As you look at the 12 steps you should be able to identify most of the steps as existing in some form in a post on this blog. It was not planned that way, but that is the way it is.